Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October 26th

This morning was my mom's Memorial Service. I'm not partial or anything, but that's one of the best services I've ever been to :) For those that don't know, October 26th is her spiritual birthday so that is one reason we picked today for the service.

There was so much joy and happiness. Yes, obviously we are sad...but there is too much of the joy in my heart right now to really feel that sadness.

My parents Sunday School teacher Terry Troutt officiated the service. He and his wife Margarita have ministered to my family like I can't even tell you. They are amazing people and I am so glad I have gotten to know them. He did a wonderful job with the service.

I was pretty nervous about reading the eulogy myself and even though I messed up a couple of times I am really glad I did it. If you know me you know that I like to get my point across :) I could talk about how amazing my mom is all day so I'm really glad I got to put voice to my words. I couldn't figure out how to put into words this other thought so I didn't share it, but I'm just so proud of her and I'm so proud to be her daughter. I am still so overwhelmed that God would have given her to me. It's that thought of, "what did I do to deserve this?" type of thing. The beautiful thing is that I didn't do anything to deserve it. God did it because He loves me. I just feel so special that He would have given her to me...even if it was only for 32 years.

Danny, my Aunt Cindy and my mom's dear friend Deanna spoke also. They all did a wonderful job. Danny has earned many fans with his very sincere and open show of emotion. I've not given much thought honestly to how this is effecting him and that's been pretty selfish of me. I've been given some insight though into how much he truly loved her. And I love that. Cindy wrote a beautiful poem (which I've included below). God gave it to her and I thought it was fitting since my mom wrote such beautiful poetry herself. Deanna read a letter she had written to her a few years ago and I loved getting to hear those words again.

Her friend Colleen read a couple of my mom's favorite Psalms (19 and 91) She did a beautiful job.

We had 2 slideshows because my mom was very specific about certain songs she wanted sung. And she only wanted them sung by the original artists. Buuuut, it's kinda hard to book Casting Crowns and Chris Rice for a Memorial Service :) Danny is going to convert them so that I can post them and share them here with people who weren't able to be at the service.

Her only other specific request was that a certain video be played at the end of the service. We had talked about having people learn the dance moves and get up on stage to help lead the crowd, but I forgot all about doing that. I wish I had because from the feedback I've heard...the crowd loved the video!! Apparently there was at least one little girl dancing in the aisle, which I'm sure would have put a smile on my mom's face :) Here is the video:


I don't know how else to sum up the service other than so uplifting and God glorifying. The gospel was presented numerous times and I pray that it will be used to help draw someone to Christ.

I want to thank EVERYONE who helped us out today. I was seriously just overwhelmed with the love and support that was poured on us.

I'm so glad this is over, but at the same time I'm sad that it is. I know that the sadness is probably going to start really hitting now and I'm hoping it does. Please pray that I won't surpress anything any longer. I would really like to take some time to just grieve now.

Below is the poem that God gave to my mom's best friend. It's just beautiful..hence the title :)

“Beautiful Sunrise”For Barbara
October 13, 2011
Beautiful sunrise, love shown so bright
As you breathed your last breath and took your heavenly flight.
Prayers were prayed and songs were sung
Scriptures were read, we even had fun.
Home to your Savior you loved so true
Your beloved family will miss you, your dear friends too.
I remember how you asked the Lord for strength to finish strong,
You wanted to be a Godly example all along.
You encouraged others you met along the way,
They were more blessed when they walked away.
What a difference you made to us each and every day,
As you lived out your faith in a beautiful way.
Could you have brought Him any more glory?
Yours is an amazing story.
You battled hard, you battled long,
Yet you always kept a song.
More concerned with others, that’s what I saw in you;
Determined to let others see Jesus shine thru.
God met your needs every single day,
gave you the grace all along the way.
You recorded your voice for your grandchildren dear,
You wanted so much for them to feel you near.
You left a legacy they will never forget.
He who began a good work will continue it yet!
Beautiful sunrise, Jesus shines so bright;
Home with your Savior in His eternal light.

Cindy Hodge

No comments:

Post a Comment