Monday, November 28, 2011

Thankful for Mama: Day 5

Whoops...I thought I did this on Friday!! Better late than never...

Thankful for Mama: Day 5

Today I am thankful for what a creative and fun loving parent she was (and so was my dad). She went to such great lengths to encourage my very wild imagination and to make every day events more fun. I really do pray I can be half that creative, fun and selfless with my kids.

Just a few of the things she would do:

1. She would get down Christmas lights from the attic and wrap them around my 4 poster bed, put boards on my bed and steps up to by bed so that me and my friends could put on fashion shows for her and my dad :)

2. When me and my friends would be eating lunch she would ask if we wanted a half of a whole sandwich. Of course everyone said whole, so she would put an actual hole in the middle of each sandwich. My friends always got a kick out of it.

3. When I would go on field trips at school she would decorate my "brown bag lunch" in whatever theme the field trip was on. The one I remember the most was we were going to an aquarium and she cut out a picture of a seal from my dad's Nat Geo  magazines and put it on the front with glitter and all kinds of fun stuff. If you knew her at all you knew what an amazing job on any project she did - that included my little brown bags.

4. She would play along as my friend Meredith and I played "Time Travel" and forced them to pretend we weren't in the room even though we were being very distracting :)

5. She would make up silly songs to help pass the time when we were broken down somewhere...my favorite was "Officer Friendly" :)

5. At a very early age I loved to organize things. One of my favorite things to play was "pattern company". She would let me take out all her patterns (she had hundreds) and use them in my "company". I would ship them, receive them, sell them, buy them. I had invoices and everything. Have I mentioned how much I love the smell of carbon paper? :)

6. I always pretended that our bikes were horses and she would help me groom them and walk them and take care of them like you would any other horse :)

7. Nothing will compare to my 25th Birthday - but I think that will have to be a whole other post. Not sure I could even type about it right now.

I've had a rough weekend. I've done a lot of crying. A lot of reminiscing. A lot of replaying "the end" in my mind. She was just the most wonderful mother and all of these little things she did for me was just part of her wonderfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment