Saturday, August 20, 2011

"The Parable of the Playroom"

So for those of you who know me...you know I don't like to attempt difficult things. I'd just rather not even try, then to try and fail. Which is why ever room in my house (especially the ones with cool paint jobs) have been done mostly by my mom. I just watch and help with the easy stuff.

So when this playroom idea came about and I realized I was going to have to do this on my own, I was pretty nervous. I knew I wanted to do it while Danny was gone so that I could just focus on it and not have to worry about anything else.

Also...for a very long time I've basically looked at my mother as my "earthly Holy Spirit". I'm sure anyone with very godly parents understands what I mean. I've always used her "approval" as my own. I've known that wasn't right, but it was a habit I had started and one I didn't feel like breaking to be honest. With everything going on I knew one of the lessons God was teaching me was that I was now going to HAVE to depend fully on Him and not use my mom as my "safety net" if you will. I'll be honest, I really don't like having to learn these lessons this way.

That's how these 2 stories come together....

Wednesday morning as I was moving furniture out of the playroom I just began praying and asking God to have mercy on me...and make this job go smoothly. I told Him that He knew my personality and that I was having a difficult time knowing my mom wasn't going to be able to be a part of it and could He just make this a learning experience in all kinds of areas for me. Day 1 went right on schedule, one little snafu, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. My parents did come over Thursday and my mom tried her best to help tape some lines, but after 2 she just couldn't. I knew she wanted to be a part, but she just physically can't do things. I did so enjoy having her there though to be a part of it.

It really wasn't until Friday afternoon as I was painting the 2nd set of stripes that I even realized how smoothly this whole process had gone. Linda had taken Ansley all day Friday and Zach was in the middle of a 4 hour nap!!! I had time to finish everything and get it all cleaned up before he got up. I was on cloud nine...seriously!

It was so neat to me that God had used something purely physical and unimportant (the painting of a room) to show me that He was going to be my Helper, the one I could depend on for everything. Now believe me, I know there are going to be times here soon where I'm feeling lost without my mother, but God is already preparing my heart... I know it. He's gently telling me (and proving) that He loves me, everything about me. He made me just for this situation so of course He is going to take care of me through it, if I let Him. He gave me the most wonderful mother in the world. A woman who has raised me to love Jesus more than anything. My heart's desire is to love Him as much as she does. I could never express the wonderfulness that she is. She has taken care of me in every single aspect of my life. But now I need to truly let my Father do that, as I should have been all along.

Anyway, not sure if I'm expressing it how I really want to...but I love finding little "parables" or metaphors in life that can apply spiritually.

Here are some pics of the transformation. Still have some finishing touches of course :)

Before:

 Doing the work:


 After!!!:



Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief.
Proverbs 14:13

No comments:

Post a Comment