Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Dose of Reality

Today I took the kids over to my parents house to swim in their little pool and spend some time. I was NOT expecting to see what I saw when I got there. I walked in the front door and there was my mom in a hospital bed sleeping. I hate to sound crass, but she looked dead. It was like an absolute punch in the gut. Then the next thing I know there is a nurse at the door. I've not been told anything about the bed or the nurse so I'm just kind of assuming it's a hospice nurse and wondering why no one bothered to tell me any of this.

As it turns out it's just a Home HealthCare Nurse who is going to be helping out, but it was still a real indication of where we are at right now. She is just so extremely sick and unless God decides to do a miracle...she's not going to get better.

She eventually came outside and watched Ansley swim and dive and play, but she could only last a little while. After lunch Ansley got up in the hospital bed with her and they were able to share some time together. I absolutely hated having to take Ansley away from her. It broke my heart...especially when she is begging not to go :(


I feel like somehow I'm pulling back from my mom. I don't know if I am, but it's like I have all these feelings and I just don't know how to say them. I'm not very good at expressing my emotions to the actual person I'm having the emotions about. I'm praying God will give me the courage (or whatever it is) to really talk to her and say things I need and want to say.

I've not been able to get that sight of her in the bed out of my mind all day.

1 comment:

  1. Brittany, I just stubled across this blog. I didn't know that things had taken a turn for the worse. I hope that these words will sustain, not only you and your family, but your mother as well...

    WAIT ON THE LORD (Psalm 27:14)

    There are hours of perplexity when the most willing spirit, eagerly desirous to serve the Lord, knows not what part to take. Then what shall it do? Vex itself by despair? Fly back in cowardice, turn to the right hand in fear, or rush forward in presumption? No, but simply wait. Wait in prayer, however. Call upon God, and spread the case before Him; tell Him your difficulty, and plead His promise of aid.

    In dilemmas between one duty and another, it is sweet to be as humble as a child, and wait with simplicity of soul upon the Lord. But wait in faith. Express your unwavering confidence in him...Believe that if He will keep you tarrying even till midnight, yet He will come at the right time; the vision shall come and shall not tarry. Wait in quiet patience, not rebelling because you are under the affliction, but blessing your God for it" (Charles Haddon Spurgeon-How to Converse with God).

    ReplyDelete